DEVON-L ArchivesArchiver > DEVON > 2002-02 > 1012764100
From: "Jim Rogers" <>
Subject: Re: Ship Numbers and seaman.
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 19:21:40 -0000
Ship numbers and their corresponding name(s) may be found via
the PRO at Kew. Details of registered seaman are also kept.Their catalogue
This is the part you want:- It covers the period 1702-1998
Records of the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen and successor
relating to the registration of ships and merchant seamen.
Registration of ships:
* Transcripts and transactions relating to the registration of ships and
subsequent changes in ownership, masters or other registration details are
in BT 107 - BT 111 and BT 340 with annual lists of ships registered in BT
162 - BT 163 .
* Registers of changes of names of ship are in BT 374 .
* Ships' official logs for the period 1902-1919 are in BT 165 .
* Ship registration papers from the Shanghai Registry are in BT 368 .
* An alphabetical register of masters is in BT 115 .
* Registers of changes of masters are in BT 336 .
Registers of seamen:
* Registers of seamen are in BT 112 , BT 116 , BT 119 - BT 120 with a
central index in BT 348 - BT 350 and BT 364 .
* Seamen's records ('pouches') are in BT 372 .
* Registers of certificates of competency and service are in BT 122 - BT
130 , BT 138 - BT 143 and BT 317 - BT 320 , some indexes of certificates
are in BT 352 .
* Registers of wages and effects of deceased seamen are in BT 153 - BT
* Registers of seamen's deaths are in BT 156 - BT 157 .
* Agreements and crew lists are in BT 98 - BT 100 and BT 144 .
* Registers of seamen's tickets are in BT 113 with an alphabetical index
in BT 114 .
Elsewhere in the PRO site you will find details of how to refine your search
and order what you want etc.
Best wishes,Jim Rogers.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 5:10 PM
Subject: Ship Numbers
> Can I ask if anyone could tell me where I can get the name of a Ship with
> number 51359. The date is 1866 and the crew member is Richard Manley.
> Many thanks
> ==== DEVON Mailing List ====
> The DEVON-L mailing list is co-sponsored by GENUKI/Devon
> (http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/) and the Devon FHS