DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-12 > 1007661480

Subject: Rootsweb in the S.F. Chronicle
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:58:00 EST

In a message dated 12/6/01 2:08:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:
> 18. What topics are appropriate for messages to DEVON-L?
> Ideas for messages to the list can include:... - Questions or
> information about Devon genealogical research
Dear Listers,
I just read in this morning's paper that Gov. Davis of Calif. ordered the
state to immediately stop releasing birth and death records for 45 days to
private companies, after a state Senate hearing yesterday revealed that
personal information (public records from Dept. of Health and Human Services)
on 24.6 million Californians had been discovered to have been provided by
Rootsweb.com. Also noted that there has been no documented case of someone
committing a crime using the Rootsweb.com database. Rootsweb has already
pulled info from Calif and Texas due to a flood of complaints. Elsewhere in
the world, have you had any legislation on the subject?
Sorry if this topic may be passé to some; I can't possibly open all
Devon-List mail.
Cynthia Skinner

This thread: