DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-08 > 0997653023

From: "Terry Leaman" <>
Subject: Re: Torquay orphanage
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:50:23 +0100

Lin, there was most certainly an orphanage called St Vincents in Torquay-
all gone now except the chapel. There is I believe a private hospital built
on the site. I believe it took over the site of what was a private school in
1889- it was run by nuns (catholic, I think.)
Regards
Terry Leaman
Torquay
Devon.
OPC (online Parish Clerk for Torquay) and DFHS representative on Devon-L
My web site at www.leaman.freeserve.co.uk contains information and photos
about Torquay and vicinity.
My index to 1861 census for St Mary Church, may now be found at
http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/TorquayStMarychurch/
although I can still offer full transcriptions of any entry found there.
Torquay (ancient & modern) information or photos wanted.
E-mail:- . Member of DFHS.
All Mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2001