DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-07 > 0995643650

From: "JohnO" <>
Subject: The Past in Ourselves
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:40:50 +0100

I used to work in London with a fellow whose father came from
Italy c.1920 and who lived in the East End. His father had a bicycle
that towed a portable grindstone in a small trailer. My friend told me
that apart from making/selling ice cream(still very much an Italian
enterprise)and working in restaurants, knife sharpening was very much
the preserve of Italian immigrants at least in London.

I grew up in a warm climate and we certainly used to follow the ice man
around and eat the chippings. Interspersed with tar when they were re-surfacing
the road!

John Overholt
Kingston upon Thames,Eng.

This thread: