DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-07 > 0995577178

From: "Mary Voller" <>
Subject: Re: The past in ourselves
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:12:58 +0100

I too can add to that.
We used to have "Jack Frost" on the window panes and were in trouble if we
melted little round holes with our finger tips in case we broke the windows.
Children wore combinations to keep out the cold and gaiters over our socks
and shoes.
After the war I went to stay with my cousin who had moved to a little
village in Dorset. No electric light until my father wired them up. They
had their water pumped by hand at the kitchen sink from the well in the
garden. To keep the well at working level they had to pump it, by hand
again, from the village well up the street. All this with a young baby,
having moved out of a town. What privation! And of course a privy in the
garden.

When I was first married - 1960, I looked forward in the winter to the
washing freezing as it dried more quickly. We couldn't afford a fridge so
in the summer the milk bottles went in a pail of water in a cool place. We
made cheese if it turned. This was usually at blackcurrant time and the
combination of them with unsalted cottage cheese is wonderful.
Yes I can remember the 'rag and bone' man and he used to live in a small
stone hut I believe and controlled the sluices to Lodmoor Marsh at Weymouth.

Mary ()
in beautiful Dorset

Research Interests:
Cornwall PANTER
Devon CROCKER, DENNER, HURD, PANTER, SATCHWELL
Dorset BETTS, GOLLOP, HART, NEWMAN,TIZARD and WOODWARD
Somerset HART, STOATE

This thread: