DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-07 > 0994279120

From: "Barbara Prowse" <>
Subject: Greenwich Pensioner
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:38:40 +0100

Dear Marilyn
A Chelsea Pensioner is/was someone who received a pension from the Army, and
had probably been in their hospital.. I assume the Greenwich Pensioner to
be Naval equivalent. So it isn't actually an occupation, but it might be an
amazing lead. In my ancester's case it meant a lead into the Army records at
Kew, and the finding of a marriage and three children at the Family History
Centre in London, where they have some of the Chaplains' returns. And
although he was born 200 years ago he's the only ancestor for whom I have a
physical description - at 17 and again at 45!
Best wishes
Barbara