DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-05 > 0991007507

From: "Martin Reeve" <>
Subject: Re: Gas Holder Builder ??
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:51:47 +0100

Hello Mark,
You are not a cricket fan I gather, or you are very young. At the Oval
cricket ground one end was referred to as the gasometer end. Great play was
made between the commentators during rain or tea or other such cricket
excitement that these should not be called gasometers, they didn't measure
anything, but should be called gas holders.
I am surprised they were around in 1830 and that you have a marriage
certificate from that date.
Ah well,
Martin in Derby

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sandford <>
To: <>
Date: 27 May 2001 18:17
Subject: Gas Holder Builder ??

>Hi all,
>I have a marriage certificate (1830) where the groom (who lived in
Plymouth) gave his occupation as a Gas Holder Builder. As I try to determine
exactly what that was, I wondered if anyone has come across this before.
>There was a large gasworks in Plymouth (although I haven't started to find
when this was built). I have searched the Internet and found a reference to
Gas Holders in the Factories Act of 1955, but it doesn't describe what they
may be. I imagine that many factories had 'containers' for holding gas and
wonder if this is what it was. Was gas supplied to houses then and, if so,
where did it come from?
>I thought I'd ask you knowledgable people before going elsewhere!
>Best wishes
>Mark Sandford

This thread: