DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-05 > 0991007507

From: "Martin Reeve" <>
Subject: Re: Gas Holder Builder ??
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:51:47 +0100

Hello Mark,
You are not a cricket fan I gather, or you are very young. At the Oval
cricket ground one end was referred to as the gasometer end. Great play was
made between the commentators during rain or tea or other such cricket
excitement that these should not be called gasometers, they didn't measure
anything, but should be called gas holders.
I am surprised they were around in 1830 and that you have a marriage
certificate from that date.
Ah well,
Martin in Derby