DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-05 > 0990985512

From: "Paul Stephens" <>
Subject: Re: Gas Holder Builder ??
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:45:12 +0100
References: <047401c0e6d0$e89f1660$>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sandford" <>
To: <>
Sent: 27 May 2001 18:17
Subject: Gas Holder Builder ??

> Hi all,
> I have a marriage certificate (1830) where the groom (who lived in
Plymouth) gave his occupation as a Gas Holder Builder. As I try to determine
exactly what that was, I wondered if anyone has come across this before.
Hi Mark

A gas holders are the large round collapsible towers you still see to day
where gas is stored in them. They are quite complicate structure usually
with a base full of water to produce a sill with the metal sides and an Air
lock so if you need to work inside the gas is removed and air pumped.


Paul Stephens from Kent DFHS m,n 10179 KFHSm.n6433
Web Page

This thread: