DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-05 > 0989839729

From: "Jo Taylor" <>
Subject: Re: William JERRETT/ Stonehouse/ARNALL family
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:28:49 +0200

Hello Ian,

If the age at death is from the death certificate as source of information,
this is notoriously unreliable. *None* of the ones I have are correct. Even
if the informant was as close as a son or daughter, they wouldn't
necessarily know their parents' dates of birth, or even their ages, come to
that! My mother didn't know what year her mother was born, the informant on
grandmother's death was another daughter, she got it a year out. My best
source for the correct date was a WW1 ration card found in the pages of
granny's cookery book, with d.o.b. in her own handwriting. My father doesn't
even know his own father's birthday... well, he does now, after my efforts!
Grandfather's ages in 1881, upon marriage in 1892 and death in 1929 were all
conflicting - the correct one was the marriage, the only one he would have
given himself (though you'd think a parent would have got it right for the
census!).

Next step, search GRO indexes to find his birth. If he was with parents in
the 1881 census, you could make their names a proviso when ordering the
certificate.

HTH
Jo Taylor
~~~~~~~
> I'm still struggling with dates to match WJ of the 1881 census (29 High
Street, Stonehouse East) with "my" WJ. WJ in the census was aged 19 and
therefore b. 1861/2 depending on birth date, whereas my WJ died in Cardiff
6/33 making him born 1864/5.

> Question: is there any conceivable mathematical permutation of dates which
could allow what appears to be 2 people to be one and the same? The only
other possibility is that there were 2 WJ's born Plymouth area about the
same time, one of which doesn't show up on the '81.

This thread: