DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-03 > 0985284608

From: "Hugh Wallis" <>
Subject: Stoke Damerel OPC - Selected Baptisms Index 1813-1840 posted
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:10:08 -0500

I have posted a quickly compiled surname index to pages that I photocopied
while looking for my own relatives at the DRO. Some of these copies are VERY
faint and the writing reminiscent of a spider that fell in the communion
wine so there are many uncertainties or unreadable names. Viewing the fiche
or, where possible, the actual registers would give a better chance of
reading them. I have tried to indicate everywhere that I am unsure of the
name with a ? but, even some of those I think I am sure of, I may have got
wrong.

I have some more pages from 1807 to 1812 that I will add to this later -
they are in the old format (one line per baptism) so there are many more
names per page and are even harder to read.

For copyright reasons I am unable to post or even e-mail to you digital
images of the photocopies of the fiches of the actual pages (now you see why
they are getting hard to read !) but I will happily look up any of these
entries and give you my best effort at interpreting what they say.

You will find these at
http://stokedamerelopc.org/selected_pages_baptism_index.htm

Hugh Wallis
Ontario, Canada
Formerly of Surrey, UK

OPC - Stoke Damerel -
<mailto:> - http://stokedamerelopc.org

Looking for:

WALLIS, VOSPER, COCK in Devon, Cornwall (Plymouth area - before 1855)
MATTHEWS, MATHEWS, DIMOND, DIAMOND, DYMOND, NEWBURY in Devon (Upottery
area - before 1830s)
DART in Devon (Torquay/Cockington area - before 1860)
COLES in Somerset (Brompton Regis, Halse, Goathurst), Devon (Membury,
Stockland - around 1850s) and Wiltshire (Stratton St. Margaret - after 1930)
BLACKMORE in Somerset (Bishop's Lydeard)
HARRIS, BRYANT, JONES in Glamorgan and Monmouth
VAUGHAN, DAVIES in Brecon and Monmouth
PETTIT(T) in Monmouth (after 1840)
PETTIT(T), PETTET(T), PELLET(T), POTTLE, PATTLE, FOX, THURSTON, PAINTER in
Norfolk (Hethersett, the Meltons, Norwich area)
WALLIS, BUSH, RUSSELL, CAVES, ADSHEAD, NEWLAND, FELL, CHITTY, CHITTEY in
London (Middlesex) and Surrey

This thread: