DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-02 > 0982854409

From: Brian Randell <>
Subject: Re: Parish registers on microfiche
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:06:49 +0000

Hi:

I am pleased to announce that I have just received from the Devon
County Archivist for publication on GENUKI/Devon, hot off the press,
an Information Note giving details of the new arrangements the Record
Office has now put in place in cooperation with the Diocese of
Exeter, enabling them to make microfiche copies of parish registers
available for sale for private study and research.

The full text of this note can be found at:

http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/ParishRegisters.html

(It is of course linked to from under "Church Records" on the main
GENUKI/Devon page.)

Quoting from the note:

>Agreement has now been reached with the Diocese of Exeter that
>copies of microfilm or microfiche of parish registers may be sold to
>individuals for private study and research. At present thirteen
>parishes have said that they wish to be consulted on every occasion
>when copies of their registers are requested; the rest are content
>for the Record Office to handle requests on their behalf.
>
>This agreement covers those registers of baptisms, marriages, banns,
>and burials which belong to the parishes; it does not include
>post-1837 marriage registers, which belong to the Registrar General
>and, in the present state of the law, cannot be copied for sale.
>
>The cost of copies is £1.50 per fiche or £20.00 per roll of film.
>This is payable to Devon County Council and can be paid in cash or
>by cheque, postal order, or credit or debit card (Visa, Delta,
>Mastercard, Eurocard, Switch, and Solo are accepted). (If payment
>is made other than in sterling, a handling charge of £4.10 is added
>to cover the cost of conversion.) In addition there is a
>reproduction fee of £5.00 per register payable to the parish. This
>must be remitted separately by sterling cheque or money order
>payable to the particular Parochial Church Council.

I do not have any further information at this time, over and above
what you can find in the full text of the Information Note.

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK

This thread: