DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2001-02 > 0981732772

From: Rita Rainbird <>
Subject: Stoke Dameral
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 07:32:52 -0800 (PST)

I have had occasion to trawl through the SD registers on microfiche and have
found them very extensive - it took me around one hour to look through the
baptisms for one year around the 1800's. This being the fact that SD was
often the stopping off point for those people about to emmigrate to other
parts of the world. Therefore, one finds people from different parts of the
country who either gave birth, decided to marry or who died while waiting
for their ship to set sail.

SD seems to be quite popular at the moment for people on the list to
research the registers, so be prepared to spend some time while doing so. I
would just like to mention that most of the registers are very legible.

Regards
Rita Rainbird

Researching: SHOPLAND, BRYANT, FURNEAUX, SYMONS, BLACKMORE, WEEKS, MARTIN,
JACKMAN, WELLACOTE, MACKRELL all in Devon.

Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/

This thread: