DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2000-11 > 0974921062

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: help please
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:24:22 +0000

Hi Terry

ISTR we've been down this road before :-))

Hi Linda

The government issued a health warning about this scam only a couple
of weeks ago following complaints received from some of our former
colonial cousins :-)

Despite quite an expensive address it is little more than a box number
and until they are caught out they can't be prosecuted.

So as advised - its a con - don't touch it with a barge pole. And
yes - as Terry suggests keep your local trading standards people
advised - these people might just slip up one of these days?

Regards

Paul
Portland

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:41:57 +0000, you wrote:

>WITHOUT PREJUDICE
>
>Linda , this sounds very like a recurring scam that does the rounds every
>so often, but, it may be genuine. My advise is , If there is an address
>given, especially if its something like-York Street , London or Some
>chambers or other, then contact Trading standards for the area concerned
>-they'll soon put you right. I think the last one was Westminster Trading
>standards. What the last lot were doing is not illegal but it was a scam.
>Regards
>Terry Leaman
>Torquay
>Devon.
>

> At 16:04 22/11/00, you wrote:
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas which might just save us a lot of
>>money.
>>
>>My husband has received a letter from a company of ' International Probate
>>Genaelogists' saying that he is probably entitled to a share of an estate of
>>an unnamed person.The only clue they give is that it is a distant relative of
>>his late mother.
>>
>>The trouble is they want nearly 40% of any inheritance that he might get,
>>which sounds rather too high a percentage.Unless we sign a legal form
>>promising to pay them this amount they will refuse to give us any information.
>>
>>I've tried our local reference library who were very sympathetic but could
>>not offer any advice other than consult a solicitor.
>>
>>Does anyone know of any national publication where solicitors might advertise
>>for beneficiaries? As we don't know who died we can't be sure it's in Devon,
>>it could be anywhere.
>>
>>Hoping someone has some ideas.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Linda