DEVON-L ArchivesArchiver > DEVON > 2000-09 > 0969821532
From: jejmrogers <>
Subject: Re: Rev. William JONES
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:52:12 +0100
> Thanks to those who responded re the above ancestor. I am currently in London, and have searched the newspaper for his death notice and ascertained he is buried in Plymouth cemetery, so will head there in the next few weeks. As I am travelling around, and it takes so long to download emails via internet cafes, I will probably have to unsubscribe for awhile.
> While looking for my ancestor's details, I noticed that there had been a disaster in Exeter in November 1887, when the local theatre caught fire, and a number of people were burned to death. There were too many names for me to write out, but anyone with a relative who died in November 1887 may care to follow this thru, in case they died in the accident.
> This message was sent through MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au
The theatre which Helen refers to was the Theatre Royal on the corner of Longbrook Street and New North Road. It was built in 1886 and caught fire on the September,1887 during the course of a performance. One hundred and eighty six patrons lost their lives in this accident. The theatre was rebuilt in 1889 and was the first in the country to comply with
legislation that required a safety curtain between the audience and the stage. The curtain weighed four and a half tons and was hauled down by hand. There had been a theatre in Bedford Street which had burnt down prior to the Theatre Royal tragedy. This information is from the book 'Exeter in old post cards' by Peter Thomas. ISBN 90 288 2406 S.
Best wishes,Jim&Joan Rogers.DFHS members.