DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 2000-03 > 0953500223

From: Kaye Cole <>
Subject: Re: Please let her ask a question......
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 13:10:23 -0800

Kaye Cole wrote:

I'm feeling a bit sad that my efforts to help people re lookups in unindexed censuses are causing distress. That was certainly never my intention. Would it be more helpful if I stopped sending out the "standard response" ? Or instead simply posted it to the list on the first of each month ? Below
is the text so that you can judge for yourselves.

Regards, Kaye Cole in Melbourne

Dear ,

Re your request for a lookup of the census, I hope the information provided below will be of use to you. A few of us on the Devon Mailing List have developed this “One size fits all” response, to help you help yourself, as a number of censuses are unindexed and not available on CD. We felt
this would be better than leaving you to wait in vain for help which may be unlikely to come

Happy Hunting and regards, Kaye Cole in Melbourne

(1) If you are requesting help with the 1851 or 1881 censuses for Devon, both of which are indexed, you should provide first name and surname, an approximate birth date and any likely birth or census locations. This will narrow the search for any <sks> (= some kind soul) who has these records,
and may help them to find the information you want among possibly 100s of entries. Please note that the 1851 census is only indexed and available on CD or microfiche for Devon, Norfolk and Warwickshire, and like the 1881 census, can be purchased quite cheaply on CD from the LDS Distribution
Centre for your country.

(2) If you are requesting help with the Devon censuses for 1841 (the first complete census with names), 1861, 1871 and 1891 (the latest census currently available), then your best source of help is YOURSELF. These censuses are NOT INDEXED and are only available for viewing on film at the UK Public
Record Office and the relevant County Record Offices, or on order for viewing at your local LDS Family History Centre for a small fee. Some censuses may also be available at major Genealogical Society libraries. In addition lookups in the 1891 census for about 200 Devon parishes are available at
the Devon Lookup Exchange at
<http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~ddhms/Lookup/dev.html>;

(3) If you are looking for someone in a large town or city in these unindexed censuses, you need an address or at least a parish or district, which you can get from an English birth, death or marriage certificate. Otherwise you may have to order in a number of films from the relevant town, and
then plough through all of them – a process that can take many hours. For example searching Plymouth or Stoke Dameral would take at least several hours, and possibly as long as a day.

(4) To find the relevant film numbers for the area you want, go to the Family Search Site on the net at < http://www.FamilySearch.org > and use custom search to find the LDS Locality Catalogue, or use the microfiche version at a Family History Centre. For large city locations, if you have a street
address its worth going to an LDS Centre to use the street index fiche, where a fairly complex two-step process will lead you to the number for the correct film containing that street.

jan ward/bob leverington wrote:

> Best wishes to all Devon researchers.
>
> I've only had a couple of years experience - I've followed, but never entered such a discussion before. I know, there's nothing worse than minor problems that "perpetuate".

This thread: