DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1999-08 > 0935999259

From: "robert j newton" <>
Subject: Re: Starr family
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:47:39 +0100

> Hi, somebody was nice enough to e-mail me some information on the
Starr
> family (John, William & etc) in or near Beere, (they brought Beere
Manor
> in the 1500). had a computer crash and lost everything, if anyone
knows
> about the Starr family in the area early 1400 to present would
> appreicate the information again, Thanks Earline

Hello Earline,

There is a picture of Starre House in Beer(without an 'e') on the Beer
website created by P. Curtis at
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~pjcurtis/starre.htm it also says the
following:
"This house was built in the 16th century by William Starre who came
from Bradfield in Devon and was believed to be a textile manufacturer.
No descendants of John and Dorothy Starre who died in the Great Plague
of 1646 A.D. remained in the village of Beer. A memorial plaque in the
Church records the John Starre who died in 1646 as the fifth son of
William Starre."

It also has information on other aspects of the village history such as
lacemaking, smuggling, Beer Stone and the general history at
http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~pjcurtis/beer.htm which mentions:
"Later the manor was sold to the Hassard family of Lyme Regis who sold
the estate to John Starr of Beer in 1550."

Robert Newton, Oxford, England
Web pages http://homepages.tesco.net/~r.newton
NEWTON & MUTTER in Devon BON(D)FIELD in Devon/Dorset/Somerset
MOSS & GRAY in Oxfordshire

This thread: