DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1999-07 > 0930951319

From: Brian Randell <>
Subject: Re: Census Indexing
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:35:19 +0100 (BST)

Hi:

At 9:57 pm +0200 2/7/99, Salaam Blackmore wrote:
>The Free BMD initiative is interesting, but my enthusiasm was dampened when
>I looked at the examples of text and the database file formats that they
>require.
>
>It all seemed very 1980's, DOS-type and backward looking.
>
>Since equipment, storage and software are more powerful today, I would
>prefer to support a full database, that looked both clear and elegant and
>which was capable of displaying ALL the information contained in the various
>censuses, rather than a crabbed, cut-down version of the original.

Hold on folks - the BMD project is a project to transcribe some existing
*indexes* to BIRTHS, MARRIAGES and DEATHS.

This is nothing to do with the CENSUS, and comparisons to census record
indexes are quite inappropriate.

cheers

Brian Randell

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232 URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randel

This thread: