DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1999-07 > 0930936216

From: "Petronella Spivey" <>
Subject: RE: Census Indexing
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:23:36 +0100

Brian and others

The technical bits are easy for me, the time less so -- but I haven't a clue
about how to go about getting hold of a copy of a census for the weeks and
months it might take me. Or the copyright issues.

Petronella

http://www.rootsweb.com/~cotswold/mitcheldean51.htm

Whatever level of indexing is chosen, I would suggest that the most
appropriate method would be to use a database system, rather than a
word-processing program, for data input. The one I use is Filemaker, but
Access is perhaps the one most commonly available (at least on modern PCs).
The simplest method of publishing the results on the Web would be via
export to a word-processing system.

Ideally, there would already be standardised database templates available,
together with explanatory documentation regarding their use, perhaps from
the FFHS (based on their 1881 census work with the LDS). Unfortunately, I
do not know of any, but it would not be too difficult to produce a
Filemaker or Access database template to match the 1881 census files.

And ideally, a co-ordinated census indexing project would involve quite a
number of people, and duplicate keying-in of data, and very careful
checking of inconsistencies - all organised by someone with adequate time
to devote to the task. But failing that, individual efforts at indexing
small census areas of personal interest, are highly welcome.

Cheers

Brian Randell

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232 URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randel

This thread: