DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1999-06 > 0930617002

From: Brian Randell <>
Subject: Re: Re. a dead and should be buried thread
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:43:22 +0100

Hi David:

>May I thank you for the two interesting articles you put out in Devon
>Digest #227
>
>But perhaps, for me and others whose interest is Devon genealogy, you
>could tell us briefly why the Diocese of Exeter, Devon CC and County RO
>entered into a formal agreement in the first place and are so reluctant to
>let others copy the parish registers - and I suppose other items?

I do not know the full story of this agreement, or even its exact terms.

I am aware that some Devon church officials object to the LDS copying and
using the information in parish registers for its religious purposes.

I do know that some Devon-based professional genealogists find it
personally convenient that filmed copies of the registers are not generally
available.

I do know that the whole subject of the agreement is regarded as very
sensitive by the organisations involved.

And I have seen assurances by the current Devon County Archivist that the
matter is being looked into again.

However, for me to say anthing more would be speculation on my part, and
probably counter-productive.

cheers

Brian Randell

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232 URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randel

This thread: