DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1999-06 > 0929736997

From: "Lesley" <>
Subject: Re: 1678 Visitations of Devon
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:16:37 +0100

Hello Jane

I am sure you can see the Visitations of Devon in the West Country Studies
Library in Exeter which is housed in the same building as the Devon Record
Office, which may itself have a copy I don't know.

I was looking at a copy last week at the Devon & Cornwall Record Society
Library which is housed in the WCSL. You can be a temporary member of the
Society which would give you access to the library.

There I found numerous volumes of transcribed parish records which are so
much easier to read than the microfiches - wonderful! (I noted your other
message about BT's) Having said that, not all parishes have been
transcribed. You can look for surnames easily to see
which parish they might have come from etc.

They also had many interesting books on various West country families
(probably of note!)

I hope this of use.

Lesley