DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1999-02 > 0919620497

From: Brian Randell <>
Subject: Parish History Indexing - an Update
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:08:17 +0000

Hi:

I have so far had eight offers responding to my recent request for
volunteers who would be willing to help make available on the Web full
indexes to Devon-related books such as parish histories. The first of these
indexes has already been completed and installed in GENUKI/Devon.

The books now being indexed, and their indexers, are:

"Ashburton, The Dartmoor Town" by Francis Pilkington - John Yolland

"A history of the parish of Aveton-Giffard", by C.C. Shaw - Chris Burgoyne

"Widecombe-in-the-Moor", by Stephen H. Woods - Judith

"West-Country Poets : their lives and works", by W.H.Kearley Wright -
Linda Cross

"Teignmouth", by H J Trump - Pat Hughes

"The Memory be Green - An Oral History of a Devon Village" (Littleham nr.
Bideford) by Liz Shakespeare - Mick Curtis

"A Story of Sidmouth and the villages of Salcombe Regis,
Branscombe, Sidbury and Sidford", by Anna Sutton - Robin Holmes

The first completed index is to:

"Iddesleigh - A Parish in Devon" - Dick Williams

To summarise what is being sought:

Minimally, such an index should provide the full names of any Devon-related
persons mentioned in the book, and all the page numbers on which these
names appear. (The index could with benefit also contain index terms for
places and events, and index terms corresponding to persons could include
date and location details.)

NOTE: Unless the book concerned is out of copyright, the index must either
(i) be evidently newly-created (such as if the published book has no index,
or only one containing much less information than the new index), or (ii),
be placed on the Web only after having contacted and obtained permission
from the copyright holder.

I will be pleased to make space available for such indexes in the
GENUKI/Devon pages - in which case the indexes will automatically be
included in the GENUKI/Devon search facility - or to receive the URLs of
the pages at which the indexers have placed their indexes. For further
details see:

http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/DEV/indexingproject.html

Needless to say, I look forward to receiving more indexing offers! To
repeat a comment in my original posting on this subject: There are now
close to a thousand subscribers to DEVON-L. Just imagine if everyone
produced just one such index, from a book that they possess or have
borrowed from a library for the purpose! (I have not counted up the number
of books that are listed in the GENUKI/Devon pages but I would guess that
it is a couple of thousand or so by now, so there are plenty for you to
choose from - though the obvious thing to do is to choose a book that you
have found particularly useful in your own personal researches.) The
resulting resource would be unmatched, since no such collection of indexes
exists anywhere to my knowledge - even in the Westcountry Studies Library
in Exeter, with its marvellous Burnett-Morris Index.

Cheers

Brian Randell

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232 URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randel

This thread: