DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1997-10 > 0876718423

From: "William J. Oke" <>
Subject: Re: Please introduce yourselves
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:53:43 -0500

Greetings all;

My Devon research interests are mainly with a group of OKE families who
lived in and around the village of Bradworthy in North Devon from about
1730 onwards.

The earliest trace of the OKE family I have found is in the Parish of
Poundstock, not far away on the Atlantic Coast in Cornwall. Over the
next few generations, one branch of the family migrated south to St.
Tudy and environs while another branch migrated north to the
Kilkhampton-Launcells-Morwenstowe area. Not surprising a few family
members crossed into Devon. Three OKE men went to Bradworthy about
1740-50, William, Thomas, and Philip. Another man John Oke moved to
Welcombe in the Parish of Hartland.

William, Thomas, and John left many descendants over the next several
generations. Following the Napoleonic wars, the OKEs joined in the flow
of migration to North America to escape the difficult times in rural
Englaands agricultural economy. I have identified about fifteen OKE
families who came to Canada; most came from Bradworthy and Welcombe,
with a few from southern Cornwall. My project is to trace each of these
families back to their origins in Cornwall and Devon and link them to
the general OKE family tree.

A list of the families I have indentified to date may be found at
<http://www.escape.ca/~wjoke/jim_genealogy.html>;. To my knowledge all
are descended from one Philip OKE who lived in Poundstock circa
1600-1650. (The Poundstock Parish records prior to about 1600 are
lost.)

In addition to the OKEs in canada, I am aware of a few families who
emmigrated to Auatralia, a few who went to the United States eitheir
directly or via Canada, and one family who went to St. Kitss in the
Caribbean.

I am not intending to restrict myself to a one name study, but most of
my information to date follows the OKE name (and, of course, variations
such as OAK, OAKE, OAKS, OAKES, OACK, etc.).

I would be glad to correspond with others encountering the OKE name or
whom are trcaing lines linked by marraige.

Regards, Jim Oke
Winnipeg, Canada

This thread: