DEVON-L Archives

Archiver > DEVON > 1997-10 > 0876468170

From: John Slee <>
Subject: Re: Please introduce yourselves
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 00:22:50 -0700

On Wed 08 Oct, Vicki Lindsay wrote:
> my research isn't in Devon; but, someone needed a Listowner and I do
> have experience being one :)

Now that's what I call generous - thanks Vicki.

My research interest in Devon is the SLEE family of Devon, particularly
those from Okehampton / Coldridge / Zeal Monachorum.

My Grandfather, Herbert George Slee left Okehampton on a bicycle early
this century to visit his uncle in Newquay, Cornwall and was so taken by
the place that he stayed. So far as I know his ancestors came from
Devon. His parents were George and Amelia Jesse Slee (nee COOMBE). I
have found that Amelia's parents were William and Maria Coombe (nee FEY)
of Okehampton and George's father was a Richard Slee, farmer.

I have only been bitten by the genealogy bug during the last two months,
so haven't yet followed up on the Coombe line. (In fact it has become
a family project for my wife and son too). At the moment I'm stuck
looking for George's link to Richard. I plan to look up the Devon census
records soon, by visiting the West Country Studies Library at Exeter. I
have found George (27) and Amelia (22) in the 1881 Okehampton Census,
but obviously need to find him before he left home. Searching for his
birth in the St.Catherine's Index has drawn a blank.

What has struck me is how helpful others with the same interest are.
Long may it continue.

WPBW

John Slee
--