DENMARK-L Archives

Archiver > DENMARK > 2003-12 > 1070301681

From: "Ian Westergaard" <>
Subject: Re: [DK] Dates and Time
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:01:21 +1300

Hi Bart

There are eight bells in a watch of four hours

The first watch starts at midnight and the bells are struck every half hour.

0030 = 1 bell, 0100 = 2 bells, 0130 = 3 bells and so on up to 8 bells at
0400 (struck in four sets of two). The sequence is repeated each four hour
watch.

The bells are first struck on the bridge or at the conning position and then
answered by the lookout. If the lookout does not answer someone goes to
check whether he has fallen asleep or overboard.

As the lookout was commonly on the forecastle (fo'c'sle) and the crew slept
in the f'c'sle they were woken up every half hour if they were not kept
awake by the lookout walking up and down trying to keep awake. You got very
tired with "four on four off watches" especially if you were called out
between your watches to trim sails. Of course the officers and petty
officers slept down aft or midships where they were not disturbed so much.

Ian Westergaard
In Cloudy & Mild Central Otago
New Zealand