DAMRON-L Archives

Archiver > DAMRON > 2002-01 > 1012197222

Subject: Re: Kate DAMRON b. abt 1857 Texas
Date: 27 Jan 2002 22:53:42 -0700

Surnames: DAMRON DAMERON
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/HMR.2ACIB/260.1.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Milton Wesley Damron of Bell Co was the uncle of the George Washington Damron in UT. Charles Chaney is correct that Milton's daughter is unlikely to be the one in CA.

I am quite puzzled by the Catherine age 58 and Josh. W. Damron age 18 on the UT census with George W. Damron. The name Josh. W. implies Joshua Warren Damron, and the 2nd oldest sister of George Washington Brock was Susannah Damron who m Joshua Warren Brock Jr in Sarcoxie,Newton Co, MO around 1834. The family apparently thought well of Joshua or his father or the person they were named after; several Damron children and grandchildren were named Joseph Warren them. There was quite a bit of contact between another brother, John Schultz Damron, and Joshua W. Brock Jr when they were in and near Ellis Co, TX -- this is the John Schultz Damron who later moved to San Bernardino, CA. That John Schultz did have a son named Joseph W. Damron, but he was probably b after 1850, and would be too young to be this young man.

I really don't know any Catherine who could be linked to them with the exception of Delilah Catherine Fisher who m a different (but closely related) George W. Dameron. This George W. Damron, b 1793, was the uncle (and probable namesake) of the George W. in UT, but both he and his wife, Delilah Catherine Fisher, d before 1857. Delilah Catherine Fisher Damron was b 1798 and d in 1857; if they had children, I have no record of them, but George died will before Delilah, and this could not be a posthumous child of his.

I have lately been in correspondence with some descendants of John Schultz Damron, and I will ask them if they know anything about your Catherine. However, I would try not to forget some of the other populations of Damrons in WV, TN, IL, etc. The Gold Rush and the pains of Reconstruction caused a lot of people to move west at about that time.

For the descendants of John Damron and Anna Ladd, I always use the Damron spelling. However, it appears both ways in records about the same individuals.

You have truly puzzled me with this information -- I am even beginning to wonder whether there might have been another undocumented child of John Damron and Anna Ladd's -- just as Huldia Majors Damron b 1803 is thought perhaps to be an undocumented child of theirs. 1802 was one of the few years in which she did not appear to have given birth.

I'll keep an eye out for Kate; it will be very interesting to find out who she is.

Incidentally, even in little Bell Co, TX, other (probably related) Damerons keep popping up in the 19th century. I don't think we yet know the half of what we will in another 5-10 years.

This thread: