CSGA-L Archives

Archiver > CSGA > 2003-05 > 1052414619

From: Leola Russell <>
Subject: [CSGA]
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:23:39 -0700

First, personal reminder to you from me:

Family History Month is at our door step
Now is the time to be polishing up our plans for celebrating Family
HIstory Month in October. Many societies are currently polishing their
plans for family history month. Some, no doubt, have already approached
their city and county governments about a proclamation.

While I have no specific reports of the plans, I believe that some are
planning Family History Fairs, Library displays, Introduction to
Genealogy Workshops, Library lockins (some libraries hold this event,
allowing genealogist to remain in the library after it closes to do
research, no one can leave and re-enter), articles in local newspapers
relating stories in other families, and essay writing contest for
youngsters.

Other things which could be considered include: volunteering to work
with local schools and youth groups by introducing young people to
genealogical research; volunteering to visit homes for Senior Citizens
and recording their memories or preparing a family group sheet to
preserve their family history; volunteer as a speaker for civic groups
to discuss genealogical research, local genealogical organizations and
repositories (you may also encourage the organization to support
preserving family histories through contributions to support local
repositories); bring a friend to October Society meetings; place
membership brochures and meeting announcements with organizations
working with newcomers to the community; talk with your minister about
recognizing the history of the families of the founders of the
congregation; and/or do an autobiography for your family and include
your favorite memories of your parents, grandparents, and other special
relatives. The possibilities are endless limited only by imagination.
The important thing is to be part of the celebration by sharing your
enthusiasm for genealogy with friends and family members, and being
part of society and community events to invite newcomers to our
genealogical community.

I hope to hear abut your plans soon.

Jo Russell

Veterans History Project honors all who served
Preserving for future generations the stories of all who served our
country in time of war is the purpose of the Veterans History Project.

In October 2000 the U. S. Congress passed Public Law 106-280 creating
the VHP to recognize the value of wartime memories and engaging the
American public in its war history. Time encompassed is from World War
I through the Persian Gulf War.

Of the goals the project perhaps the most relevant is to create a
comprehensive, searchable, national catalog of oral histories and
documents of those who served and of how these experiences affected
individual lives and the progress of America itself.

For information, contact: Veterans History Project, Library of Congress,
American Folklife Center, 101 Indpendence Ave. S.E., Washington, D C
20540-4615. Phone; (888) 371-5848 (recorded message and information
line). Fax (202) 252-2046. Website: <http:www.loc.gov/folklife/vets>
Email: <>

(I believe I forwarded the press release on this project some weeks
ago. This is the report I found in the Spring 2003 issue of the
California Historian, published by the Conference of California
Historical Societies. It follows an interesting article, Cemetery
report: Second Call---how are counties dealing with Historic
Cemeteries, by Dr. Bob LaPerriere, Chairman, Califorinia Historical
Cemetery Alliance/Old City Cemetery Committee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Genealogical Research Service announced by Wisconsin Historical
Society: <www.wisconsinhistory.org>
Click on
*Genealogy
* Online Genealogical Research Service.

This announcement arrived via the US Postal Service and is to long to
retype into this message.

The announcement includes a NEW Wisconsin Name Index
,wisconsinhistory.org/wni> ; Vital Records Search
<wisconsinhistory.org/genealogy/orgs/>; and Civil War Service Records
<wisconsinhistory.orgwni>. "Submit your query and pay by credit card
online. Trained staff will do the search, copy or print the relevant
records , and maile them toyou within 28 days.
There are some FREE offerings:
Wisconsin Local History and Biography Articles <
wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/> source is articles clipped from Wisconsin
newspapers between 1850 and 1950.
Wisconsin Historical Images <www.wiscosinhistory.org/whi/> " view more
than 1000 Wisconsin photographs taken between 1870 and 1970 and order
reproductions of any that you would like to own.."
Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers 1861-1865
<wisconsinhistory.org/roster/ > you can browse regiment and company
muster rolls... nearly 90,000 soldiers are documented on 3,000 pages .

(I copied the urls as printed in the communication and noted not all
have www.)
~~~~~

PRESS RELEASE from National Archives and Research Administration,
Pacific Region: