CRF-L Archives

Archiver > CRF > 2006-03 > 1141860934

From: "Sherri" <>
Subject: FW: Mulch----THIS IS AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:35:34 -0500

Definitely off-topic, but with spring planting season approaching, we all
need to know this.

~Sherri

*****************
Please be so careful when purchasing Mulch this spring.

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this
year. Hurricane Rita blew over many trees in New Orleans. These trees were
then turned into mulch. Louisiana is trying to get rid of tons and tons of
this mulch to any state or company who will come and haul it away. It will
probably start showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at cheap prices. There's
just one huge problem - Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those
bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan
Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were
already badly infested with those termites. These termites can eat a house
in no time at all and we have no good control against them. Tell your
friends that own homes to avoid using mulch that they doesn't state where it
came from or if it came from New Orleans.

Louisiana agricultural dept. web site http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/