CREEK-SOUTHEAST-L Archives

Archiver > CREEK-SOUTHEAST > 2001-01 > 0978546071

From: Steve Payne <>
Subject: [CREEK-SOUTHEAST] query
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:21:11 -0500

Has anyone run across a reference to a Creek or Creek trader by
the name of Crumbley (Crumley, Crumbly, etc.)? Senia or Seney
Crumbley appears in GA state records as having been legitimated
and adopted by Isaac Mitchell of Wilkinson County, GA in 1819.
Since David P. Mitchell served as the Creek agent around that time
and many Creeks lost their lives in the Red Stick War some years
earlier, I wondered also if there could be any connection between
the two Mitchells -- such as David directing a young child to a
relative. Senia Mitchell later married Joseph Payne of
Wilkinson County and had seven children -- one of whom was Dr.
Isaac B. Payne (my g-grandfather) who received his medical degree
in NY in 1857 and moved to LA in 1960.

If you've seen the name of Crumbley in Creek-related research or
a connection between Indian agent David P. Mitchell and a Isaac
Mitchell of Wilkinson County, I'd appreciate any contact.

Steve Payne

This thread: