CLEAVER-L Archives

Archiver > CLEAVER > 2007-01 > 1170015683

From: "" <>
Subject: [CLEAVER] Correction to Death Date cited in DAR Mss Coll 203 forSusannah BACON b. 24 July 1736 NJ
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:21:23 -0000

Surnames: Bacon Cleaver Clever Garrison Wright Elwell Hancock Pancoast Foxwell
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.cleaver/123.1.1.1.2.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

As a correction to my posting of 19 July 2004 on this rootsweb message board, please note that an error was made. The death date of 1829 is a typographical error. In 2004, I wrote:
"In the first paragraph of "Family Record of the Cleavers & Relatives", contained within DAR Manuscript Collection 203, the document cites (in lovely prose form, family story style) to Susannah BACON as the wife of Peter CLEAVER, his birthdate as, b. 1 April 1732. Briefly, "In 1755 he married Susannah BACON who was born in New Jersey July 24, 1736. She died in Delaware May 20, 1829. * * *."

I revisted my copy of the DAR Manuscript, and Susannah BACON, wife of Peter CLEAVER12 (as per Wm Jessup Cleaver's first book, Descendents of Peter CLEAVER) does have a different death date. The correct date of death for Susanna BACON Cleaver buried in Hickory Grove Friends Cemetery (the old CLEAVER family farm with early Quaker Meeting House with lost records), Port Penn, Del is the 20th of May 1820 (not 1829)- I regret the error.

So please use the May 20, 1820 as her death date.

Much to my surprise the parents and grandparents of Susanna BACON or Sarah Susannah BACON d. 20 May 1820 are unknown I do not know. Some say Samuel Jr is her grandfather, some say perhaps, Joseph Sr/Elizabeth PANCOAST>Joseph Jr/Margaret HANCOCK (or a different wife somewhere...)- and still others point to a David BACON branch in Philadelphia area perhaps. All of these would still be in the Martha FOXWELL/Samuel BACON Sr family of Barnstable, MA, later of Cohansey/Greenwich NJ. Does anyone know which BACON family in Greenwich, Salem/Cumberland NJ is correct? Thanks.

This thread: