CLAN-GRANT-L Archives

Archiver > CLAN-GRANT > 2012-04 > 1334064369

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [CLAN-GRANT] William GRANT > Carron > 1770
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:26:30 -0000

Author: samgrant42
Surnames: Grant; Gordon
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.ethnic.celtic.scottish.grant/3.1.4/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

There seems to be a great deal of activity on this thread in the last few days, so I thought that I would add what I think is something that I found out via some research about one of the five sons of James Grant of Carron who died in 1790 at Holyroot, with a slight twist at the end of my "cut and paste" from taken from an earlier message:

"As earlier researched, Effingham Grant, was left penniless when his father Captain James Grant of Carron died at the Abby of Holyrood in 1790. I have found references that he was commissioned a Surgeon 2nd Mate on 8 Feb 1794 in the Inverness-shire Highlanders or 97th Regiment of Foot (1794-1796) based on their history, a copy of which is in the National Library of Scotland.

On page 33 of the reference, it states "The two Surgeons-mates, John Grant and Effingham Grant, especially the latter, had attended the sick during the past two auduous months......

John Grant is probably his brother.

Further on Page 61, it states Effingham Grant, 2nd. Mate 8 February 1794; resigned 14th November 1794, Son to Captain James Grant of Carron. His mother wrote "Roy's Wife of Aldivalloch"

Still nothing to firmly tie him to Effingham Howard Grant, my GGGGGrandfather, born in Scotland in 1776, married Jane Harrison at St. Marylebone near London and died in Kendal, England in 1841, but it still seems right. So far, I can find no reference to Effingham Grant after 1794."

Now for the "twist"! Having submitted DNA for markers up to 37 (soon I will upgrade to 111), there are no matches with the surname "Grant" but several to the surname "Gordon." So as Jim Gordon emailed me the other day, perhaps in the days back in Scotland when the Grant rooster was out of the henhouse, a Gordon rooster slipped in. Needless to say, this complicates my search even more. Broke the news to my sons Easter day that we might have to change our last name....;-).

Important Note: