CHILDRESS-L Archives

Archiver > CHILDRESS > 2000-07 > 0963731402

From: "Childress" <>
Subject: [Childress Research] Joel Childress
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 00:10:02 -0700

Hi Lee,
Very interesting findings, Lee. Your research is always fascinating to
read. I can hardly wait until your next discovery. I do have the following
thoughts...FYI.

1) We use the 1745 date on Joel's tombstone as a demarcation date of the
arrival of the Childress clan. Records created before 1745 in Virginia
would be "Childers" records no matter how the name is spelled (misspelled)
in those records. In fact the whole purpose that caused this list to be
formed was to research that crossing event which was neglected elsewhere
and re-examine records in the light of that 1745 Scottish immigration
interpretation. That interpretation makes Henry Childers (who was married
in Virginia prior to the 1745 ship crossing) an English Childers and not a
Scottish Childress.

2) Also, we have been discussing here that the name "John" father to Joel
that is on the gravestone of Joel, I would suggest, ought not be overlooked
in the research of Surry County, NC.
a) The gravestone was viewed by Lyon Childress, brother of John Williams
Childress, who left a similar account to John William Childress,
corroborating the name of Joel's father, "John" on the tombstone.
b) The comment by John Williams Childress, great grandson of Joel, that a
certain part of the gravestone was unreadable suggests by inference the
rest of the stone is more readable.
c) The name of Joel's father being "John" seemingly might in itself make a
lasting impression on a child whose name was also "John", simply because
they shared the same name (John WilliamsChildress, who played on the
gravestone).
d) James Childress, supposed brother of Joel Childress, took over the
administration of Joel's estate and therefore James Childress would have
been a son of "John" or "John Benjamin" or "Benjamin John" Joel's father,
mentioned on Joel's gravestone It is suggestive that Joel's family in
Murfreesboro, TN had access to other relatives of a generation earlier who
would have known the name of Joel's father.

My point is that it is a clue, I think an important clue, that records in
Surry County that contain the name John may be referring to the Benjamin
you see in your findings. For example, I am trusting my memory, but I seem
to recall that in the earliest Census of SURRY County, NC ca. 1785 there is
an Abraham, Mary, and John Childress listed.... I seem to recall that
Abraham, and Mary show up in the 1790 (1800?) Census of STOKES County but
absent John. It may be, I haven't researched enough, that this absent John
(absent from the 1790 -1800? Stokes County Census) is the deceased "John
Benjamin" or "Benjamin John", AKA Joel's father. Stokes County was formed in
1789 from Surry County, and the families listed in both censuses need not
have moved, but rather the name of their county might have changed
underneath them.... The missing "John" on the 1790-1800 Stokes Census
coincides with the death of "Benjamin"... who may be one in the same person.

Lastly, could you send me an e-mail (or post it again to the list for the
Rootsweb archives) of your latest posting with the typos/dates corrected.
I'll save that e-mail for my records and delete your previous posting that
has the typos. Thanks much for your research... well done.
Gary Childress

-----

This thread: