CHAPIN-L Archives

Archiver > CHAPIN > 2007-12 > 1198945862

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [CHAPIN] Philip Eugene Chapin, m. Amelia Bushnell
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:31:02 -0000

Author: tedpack
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.chapin/513.2.1.2.2.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Thank you again. I found out that Philip's daughter, Susan Morrell Chapin, was engaged to a British officer, Capt. Thomas Clarke, Royal Medical Corps. He had two middle initials and a string of letters after his name; CMG, DSO and some others. They were supposed to have married in 1905 in Paris. Do you know (or does the book say) if they did?

One good turn deserves another.

This is from my Ancestry subscription, but I think they let people look at it for free every year around Veteran's day. The names of the regiments are links to regimental histories, if you have an subscription or wait until November.

American Civil War Soldiers

Name: Philip Chapin ,
Residence: New Hartford, Connecticut
Enlistment Date: 15 Aug 1862
Side Served: Union
State Served: Connecticut
Birth Date: 1 Dec 1838
Death Date: 30 Oct 1915
Service Record: Enlisted as a 2nd Lieutenant on 15 August 1862 at the age of 23.
Commission in Company F, 15th Infantry Regiment Connecticut on 25 Aug 1862.
Commission in Company L, 2nd Heavy Artillery Regiment Connecticut on 16 Mar 1864.
Promoted to Full 1st Lieutenant (As of Co. L 2nd CT HA) on 16 Mar 1864.
Discharged for promotion Company F, 15th Infantry Regiment Connecticut on 16 Mar 1864.
Discharged from Company L, 2nd Heavy Artillery Regiment Connecticut on 17 Oct 1864.

I can't find out where he died, or if the 1915 date above is accurate.

On a second note, if you google "Philip Eugene Chapin" you get a number of hits from art auction houses. He evidently had his portrait and his wife's portrait painted by someone good enough that today those portraits are considered fine art.

A disclaimer - I'm not related. I "did" this line for a number of odd reasons, one of which was to see how the better half lived. My Pack ancestors run to people in what is now West Virginia who kept slaves and made their own whiskey. They didn't get mentioned in the society pages.

Important Note: