CATLETT-L Archives

Archiver > CATLETT > 2005-01 > 1106192709

From: "Lilly" <>
Subject: Henrietta Catlett, Charity Catlett, Isabell Catlett
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:45:09 +0300

This is my first posting here.

I am studying the Campbell families in both Amherst Co and Nelson Co VA. In the years of 1750 thru 1860.

I have found 3 women, who are each said to be maiden named CATLETT.
Those three women were each married to men named Campbell, and they seem to be related together somehow.

#1. Charity Catlett, married Henry Campbell, b. about 1706 maybe born in Scotland, he died in 1772.
He arrived in Amherst Co VA. about 1761. He may have come from another area in Virginia.
The children were named: Ambrose, Joel, Aaron, Rachel, Catherine, John.
The son Joel named one son Catlett Campbell.

#2. Henrietta Catlett, married Lawrence Campbell, he is said to have been born about 1735 in Scotland. He is said to have married Henrietta Catlett, d/o John Catlett, about 1759 in Virginia.
Henrietta is said to have been born about 1739 in Spotsylvania, Carolina Co, VA.
They moved to Amherst Co, and while there they appear in land deeds linked to Henry Campbell, above. Henry Campbell chose Lawrence Campbell as executor to his will.
Lawrence Campbell died in Amherst Co VA 1814.
His children were: Francis, James, Catlett, Nancy, Mary Ann, Pamela, Sarah, Lawrence, and Judith.

#3. Isabell Catlett b. about 1757, d/o John b. 1723. This women is said to have married Francis Campbell. I am gathering data on this couple. I am not exactly sure at this point how Francis relates to the above mentioned Henry and Lawrence Campbell, but he is related.

To make a long story short, in the Amherst and Nelson Co area of Virginia, there appears to be several Campbell fammilies, which use the name Catlett, as a first name for male children, and this usage is probably tied to the maternal line being from the Catlett family in colonial Virginia.

Is there any researcher out there, who is familiar with the Catlett name in Virginia in the time from of 1620 thru 1780, to be able to point me in the right direction of study?

Perhaps there is an important website I should see? Was there only 1 immigrant ancestor from England to Colonial Jamestown named Catlett, or were there numerous Catlett immigrants?
I am wondering if these 2 ladies mentioned will all tie back to the same immigrant ancestor, or are there several unrelated lines?

Best regards,
Lilly Martin
Campbell researcher

This thread: