CARTER-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > CARTER-DNA > 2011-08 > 1312599538

From: Patricia Carter <>
Subject: Re: [CARTER-DNA] Submission of Historya Requirement forParticipation?
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 22:58:58 -0400

This sounds like a good idea to me.
"So maybe the solution is this: Those who have shared family info have
access to family info. Those who have not DO NOT have access to the family
histories we publish."

Judy

[1] wrote:

Kathy, I understand that very well. My siblings and some distant cousins
have "borrowed" my extensive work on another line and it is included in
their information without credit to me for the research. One even publishes
a book, which is nothing more than a printout of his gedcom, and sells it.
And it has BAD information in it!!! Sunday I will attend a reunion where I
will PROVE his information is wrong. One family line just paid for an
expensive historical marker at a local cemetery with the wrong information.
I'm sorry that they didn't check with me first.

It hurts me that my sisters will not share the information they have
researched and collected but so freely use the information I share. I have
a website; I was editor of our local genealogy newsletter; I am president
(and essentially am still editor because I write 75% of the content) of our
local genealogy society; I published a book of family information that was
ONLY shared with family. But my sisters are too busy to share anything with
me. My solution to this is to limit what I publish publicly and to include
one little tale-tell detail that is outrageous so that I can tell if they
did the research or used mine.

I don't blame them at all, but what is the solution? We either have to be
willing to share or must be willing to not be shared with. (Don't let my
grandma see that sentence.)