CAN-ONT-YORK-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-ONT-YORK > 2009-11 > 1258781897

From: Marg McFarlane <>
Subject: Re: [CAN-ONT-YORK] MONKMAN looking for obit
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:38:17 -0700

Hi:

Robina was still living and writing in Toronto Thursday, July 27, 1950. She
wrote and had published in the Star a poem about the Fresh Air Fund. Her
address was 90 Delaware Avenue, Toronto.

>From The Toronto Star, Saturday, June 30, 1973:

In Memorium

MONKMAN - In loving memory of my parents, William and Elizabeth Monkman who
passed together to rest June 30, 1941.

In the light beyond the shadows.

--Robina

I searched the Star for mention of these deaths around June 30, 1941 and the
only thing that I found was a poem by Robina Tuesday, July 15, 1941:

FINALE

O shadows of twilight, take me into your keeping.
There is frost in my heart and the rose of my love lies dead.
The tides are at ebb, and the winds are bitter with weeping.
And the ____ of my song are fled.

The swallows are gone from the hill of my heart's desire.
The winde of my joy is drained from the sky's blue bowl.
The leaves of my life are adrift, and the last warm fire
Is ash on the heart of my soul.

Robina Monkman

She was living at 493 Ossington Avenue, Toronto, when she had a poem
published about the war on Friday, June 20, 1941.

She won an award in 1939:

http://www.cs.mun.ca/~lawards/litawards/index.php?award=919

Her poetry is in:

/www.doullbooks.com

*POETRY CRAFT GROUP OTTAWA BRANCH CANADIAN AUTHORS'
ASSOCIATION<http://www.doullbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=87248&keyword=poetry&searchby=author&offset=100&fs=1&CLSN_957=12587775309578379870100154b49865>;
* *Profile: A Chapbook of Canadian Verse
<http://www.doullbooks.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=87248&keyword=poetry&searchby=author&offset=100&fs=1&CLSN_957=12587775309578379870100154b49865>;
*
Poetry Craft Group, Ottawa, 1946,
POETRY CRAFT GROUP. Profile: A Chapbook of Canadian Verse. (Ottawa):
PoetryCraft Group of the Ottawa Branch Canadian Authors' Association, 1946.
Pp. [i]-vii,(1),1-47,(1). 8vo, card covers. A chapbook containing the
winning poems submitted to the 1945-46 Canadian Poetry Contest, sponsored by
the Poetry Craft Group of the Ottawa Branch Canadian Authors' Association.
Award winners are: Tom Farley, R.H. Grenville, Elizabeth Campbell, M.
Eugenie Perry, George Whalley, Strowan Robertson, Francis Foley, Selma G.
Bartlett, Pauline Havard, Norma E. Smith, Nathan R. Jacoby, and Kathryn
Munro. Others published in this volume are: Mynnel Wallace, Maud Ludington
Cain, John V. Hicks, J. Joseph Garvey, E. Hope Kerr, Joan A. Alexander,
Jessie Drummond, Florence Westacott, Frederika Blankner, L.J. Ferguson,
Margaret Maclean, Elizabeth M. Williamson, Norah Godfrey, Robina Monkman,
Ellen Rhys, Barbara Day, Mrs. Charles F. Watters, Mary Woodworth Lorton, M.
Ruth Montgomery, John E. Nixton, and Marie Sylvia. Owner's name in ink to
front cover, very lightrubbing and creasing to covers, slightly edgeworn,
else vg. 40.00
Price: * 40.00 CDN

*Perhaps the parents died in an accident which might have been reported in
the newspaper in the district where they were from? Bruce & Grey Branch
OGS:

http://alice.bmts.com/~bgogs/

Or scroll down to Grey Bruce here:

http://www.raogk.com/ontario.htm

Jane Scea has very kindly looked up various records for me before and is
very reliable. She can look in the newspaper index to see if there is an
entry for the 1941 deaths, and maybe for a death for Robina as well. There
may be a small charge but you'd have to ask her abt that.

At least now that you have the death dates for Wm and Elizabeth, you can
order death registrations for them, assuming they died in Ontario, of
course.

Marg in Sunny Alberta