CAN-ONT-FRONTENAC-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-ONT-FRONTENAC > 2003-09 > 1063384944

From: "MaxandMarilynSutherland" <>
Subject: Re: [FRONTENAC] 1861 Census
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:42:24 -0400

Jim:

I'm afraid this doesn't surprise me. In fact, it causes me (no offense
intended) to yawn. I've found countless examples - and just in one town in
Lanark County - in which parents have listed their mature, independent
children, some of whom are thousands of miles away and others who are over
in the next concession or village.

The answer to a census taker's question depended on how the question was
phrased. "What people are normally residents of this household?" is a far
different question from "What children do you have?" or "Who are your
family?" I've found lots of double enumerations, where grown-up children
appear for a second time because they are actually living, some of them with
children of their own, in another part of the County.

It's a jungle out there, believe me, and the problem gets worse in the later
1800s, when census takers are paid by the number of names they
collect......... But I mustn't get started - describing the possibilities
for errors in census returns could fill a book.

Max