CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2006-09 > 1158356825

Subject: [Campbell] Will of James Campbell, 1826, Jefferson County, TN
Date: 15 Sep 2006 15:47:05 -0600

Surnames: Campbell, Fain, Vance, Peck, Lanning, Coppock
Classification: Will

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/lVH.2ACIB/9042

Message Board Post:

This is NOT my ancestor and I don't know one thing further about this family. I received this in error.

Jefferson County, Tennessee, Will Book 2, pp. 545-548

I James Campbell of Jefferson County, East Tennessee, do hereby make my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is 1st I desire that my executors may sell immediately after my decease, as much perishable property as may be sufficient to satisfy all my just debts that may remain unpaid and my funeral expenses and out of the monies arising therefrom pay and satisfy all the above mentioned debts and expenses.

2ndly I give to my wife Jane Campbell five negro slaves, namely Agg, Henry, Jeff, Sally and Aaron to support and work for her during her natural life. I likewise give the dwelling house and house furniture to her to have and to hold during her natural life and the privilege of disposing of the house furniture and of giving it to whom she pleases except one cupboard, one desk and feather bed and bed clothing that is common to a bed which I give to my son Robert F. Campbell to be possessed by him and his heirs forever; and after her decease I give the above named negro slaves namely, Agg, Henry, Jeff, Sally and Aaron to my children and grandchildren herein after mentioned to be divided among them in the following manner and to be enjoyed by them and their heirs forever.

3rdly I give to my daughter Mary Fain, one negro slave named Dorcas and also her offspring of there be any and another negro slave named Madison who are now in her possession to be possessed by her and her heirs forever.

4thly I give to my daughter Nancy Peck on negro slave named Esther and also her offspring if there shall be any hereafter and another negro slave, a child named Valentine who are now in her possession to be possessed by her and her heirs forever.

5thly I give to my daughter Margaret Fain one negro slave named George who is now in her possession to be possessed by her and her heirs forever.

6thly I give to my son Robert F. Campbell a certain tract of land containing two hundred acres lying in Jefferson County, East Tennessee, joining Anthony and William Caldwell land and Aaron Newman’s land beginning at a post oak running thence due west thirty eight poles to a stake in William Caldwell’s line, thence with said line, south sixty four poles to a black oak, William Caldwell’s corner thence south sixty west one hundred and forty eight poles to a stake William Caldwell’s line and Aaron Newman’s corner thence along said Newman’s line to the beginning to be possessed of him and his heirs forever, except, so much as will bring a decent support for my wife Jane Campbell, which exception is only to continue during her natural life. I likewise give to him all the farming utensils to be possessed by him and his heirs forever. I also give him two negro slaves one named Ben and the other named Jake to be possessed by him and!
his heirs forever.

7thly I give to my granddaughter, Jane Vance, one negro slave named Sally and her offspring if there shall be any to be possessed by her and her heirs forever.

8thly I give to my granddaughter Amelia M. Vance on negro slave named Aaron to be possessed by her and her heirs forever.

9thly I give to my granddaughter Eliza Vance one negro slave named Ken who is now at her father’s to be possessed by her and her heirs forever.

10thly after the decease of my wife Jane Campbell I desire that my executors may sell the above named negro slaves Henry and Jeff and the monies arising therefrom to be divided into six equal parts and a sixth to be given to each of my five children namely Archibald Campbell, Mary Fain, Nancy Peck, Margaret Fain and Robert F. Campbell and the above mentioned slave Agg I also give to my son Robert F. Campbell to be possessed by him and his heirs forever, and the other sixth of the money to be divided among my grandsons namely my daughter Elizabeth Vance’s sons each to have an equal part.

11thly the reason I have not given more to my son Archabald Campbell, is because I have given him a deed for a certain track of land.

And lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my two sons Archabald Campbell and Robert F. Campbell executors of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other or former wills or testaments by me heretofore made.

In witness whereof I have set my hand and seal this 18th day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty six.

Singed sealed published and declared to be the last will and testament of above named James Campbell in presence of us, who at his request and in his presence have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses to the same.

James Campbell (seal)

Andrew Lanning
John Coppock

This thread: