CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2006-03 > 1143429169

From: "scraft" <>
Subject: RE: [CAMPBELL] Peter Campbell of Amherst Co VA
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:12:49 -0500

The discussion regarding Peter Campbell of Amherst/Nelson Counties triggered
some information I had on file on George W. Campbell who married Martha Ann
Massie in Nelson County, VA on 23 Feb. 1830.

Martha Ann Massie (b. 9 Feb. 1816; died 11 June 1880 in Lafayette
County--later known as Fayette Co. WV) was the daughter of Thomas Massie, my
ggg grandfather, and his first wife, Patsy Dodd. Martha Ann Massie married
George W. Campbell (b. abt 1808; died 1861 in Lafayette County) in Nelson
County, VA and moved to Greenbrier County and later to Spring Dale in
Lafayette County later to become part of West Virginia.

I finally learned he was the son of Peter Campbell from a guardian bond
filed in Nelson County 26 July 1824 (WB "C", p. 333). Charles Flood was
named guardian "to George W. Campbell orphan of Peter Campbell, deceased."
Charles Flood also was "appointed guardian to Elizabeth, Peggy & Peter
Campbell, orphans of Peter Campbell, deceased" in the court held the 1st day
of September 1826 (Nelson Co. WB "C", p. 182). So, it is apparent that
Peter died prior to 26 July 1824.

The children of Martha Ann and George Washington Campbell were:
Thomas Henry (b. 12/23/1834; d. 12/29/1928)
George W. (b. 6/10/1843; d. 6/12/1912) m. Elizabeth Frances Surbaugh (b.
1849)
James - unmarried and died at Western State Hospital in Staunton, VA
Charlie Jesse
Zachary Taylor
Martha
Mary
Kittie or Lucy
Edith

The children's names were given to me in 1987 by the grandson of George W.
and Elizabeth Surbaugh Campbell who was from WV and visited my home in
search of his Massie ancestors.

I did not do any further research at that time since it did not pertain to
my direct line. I have no idea how the Charles Flood was related to the
Peter Campbell family and I assume Peter's wife was dead at that time, too.

Looking at the naming parents I see the first son, Thomas Henry, was named
for Martha Ann's father and likely Henry Campbell; the second son, named for
his father; and the third son, James, probably for a James Campbell.

I'd like to hear from Phyllis who descends from Ambrose Campbell to find out
if she knew about George Washington Campbell, the son of Peter.

Have a good evening!
Shirley