CAMPBELL-PA-NELSON-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL-PA-NELSON > 2003-01 > 1043350624

From: "William Thompson" <>
Subject: Re: The Stewart Connection
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:37:04 -0500

Thanks so much for all this data. I hope a number of people will Reply All
and post responses/comments to your message, so that we all can read them.
This could be the start of a discussion that could involve and help many
people on this list. It should be of particular interest to the other Sam
and Sally Campbell Hazlett descendents.

You've set a great example for others to follow with their own data. And of
course, I hope a number of people will Reply All and post helpful comments
on your data and suplement it.

As to your question about documentation. It's always a problem with stuff
that far back. My primary source for data on Hannah was The History of the
Beechers Island Presbyterian Church. I had my copy in my hand Tuesday, but
put it "somewhere safe" to clear the decks for action on the piles of
clippings and old letters my mother and sister collected that I am now
processing. Darned if I can think where I put it. Very frustrating.

Perhaps Marylyn Adams, or one of the others that has it may find their copy
first. It's clear that Hannah's mother was Jane Hazlett, b. 1810, d. 1901,
was Hannah's mother. Lucy Dunham Hazlett (a niece of Sally's) has a great
account of Sally Campbell Hazlett carrying infant Jane in her arms through
deep snow on their migration to Nelson. A horse pulling a wagon died so
they had to walk and cary as much of the load as they could. Jane's 2nd
husband was Harvey Andrews.

But was her first husband Richard or James Ellison? I don't have the BIPC
History in front of me, but the way it was written is confusing in places as
to whom 'his' or 'her' refers to. So it's possible I misinterpreted the
part about Jane's first husband. Or, it is very possible that whoever wrote
that part of the History was wrong.

The only James Ellison I have in my data base was a brother of Hannah (at
least according to the same History). He shows up in the 1860 Osceola
census. The Beechers Island History says he moved to Marengo, IL. This was
confirmed by one of his desc., Karen Tilley. She has researched the desc,
of this James and wife, Cynthia Duell. This James was b. Sept. 7,1835 in
Tioga Co., PA, and died Jan. 4, 1924 in Marengo. None of the references
call him 'Jr.', but that doesn't prove anything.

The 1880 census may be correct about the birthplace of Hannah's father. But
succesive censuses sometimes contradict each other about a person's
birthplace, so they definately are fallible. For instance, the 1860 census
in Tioga Co., seems to have had some error prone census takers.

Thanks for the additon of the names of Mary Adelia Stewart and Sherman
Warren - I didn't have them.

As to the paternity of Robert Stewart. I have never researched that myself,
but I received a letter last year from a grandson of Sarah Jane Stewart and
Bion Snyder Warren. He believes that Robert's parents were Sylvester and
Mindwell Stewart. I'm not sure of his source for that, but we can contact
him to find out. I do know that the will of a Sylverter A. Stewart of
Jackson Twp., was probated March 1, 1853 and adminsterd by a Nathan Stewart.

There are always lots of challenges in unravelling the past.

Thanks for your contributions and good luck with your research. Hopefully a
number subscribers will come to your assistance.