CABUTTE-L Archives

Archiver > CABUTTE > 2003-03 > 1048346150

Subject: Re: [CAButte] Butte County Cemetery????
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:15:50 EST

In a message dated 3/22/03 4:47:33 AM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> . I have his death certificate
> (1945) which says he was buried in Butte County Cemetery. I have checked
> the
> Yellow pages for an address without any luck. Has the name of this
> cemetery
> changed in the last 50-60 years?

Butte County Cemetery may refer to the "pauper" cemetery wherein often those
who died as wards of the county (at at the county's infirmary) were interred.
It is located at the intersection of County Center Drive and Court Street in
Oroville. It is basically the "green" central area of the County
Administration and Courts buildings. No markers are extant. There are
however, small disks (concrete and metal) where numbers are located. Those
numbers also refer to the interments ... a listing of which is available, if
you'll respond to this site with your ancestor's name perhaps someone can
help you. Sorry, I have no information on the mortuary you mention, although
vast records were taken over by later owners of a business, and those may
still be accessible. What is the address you have of the one you mention.

A. Farley
Durham

This thread: