BUNKER-L Archives

Archiver > BUNKER > 2002-11 > 1036617203

From: Mary-Gene Page <>
Subject: Re: Jane Godfrey
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:16:02 -0800

Bette Richards wrote:
> In the never ending search for Jane Godfrey I found SWAINS OF NANTUCKET by
> Robert H. Swain, published 1994. On page 9, he says "Jane: b. c. 1630,
> Topsfield, Mass. was the dau. of Richard & Jane (Turner) Godfrey, England."
>
> He does not list a source for this information. However, if Jane Godfrey
> was born in Topsfield, MA she could not have been the Elizabeth Godfree that
> married George Bunker in Malden, Bedfordshire, England in 1644.

Richard Godfrey (1631-1691) md c1650 Jane/Mary Turner (c1632-1670-1).
They had a daughter Jane, b. 1632 in Taunton MA. (SOURCE: NEHG REGISTER
Vol 123 Jul 1969)

1670 - Daughter Jane md 4 Aug 1670 Israel Woodward.

1674 - Israel Woodward died 15 Jun 1674 (VR of Taunton, Vol 3 pg 232)

1676 - Jane Woodward md John Cobb 3 Jun 1676 (VR of Taunton Vol 2 pg 545)

1691 - Will of Richard Godfree of Taunton dtd 4 Oct 1691 names his
daughter Jane, the wife of John Cobb, and his wife Mary Godfree.

1736 - Jane Cobb d. 19 Mar 1736 in her 85th yr.

1736 - Jane's tombstone in Oakland Cem. reads "Mrs. Jean Cobb, d. Mar
19, 1736 in ye eighty fifth year of her age."
(Bristol Co. Probate files contain Jane Cobb's deed of a gift dtd 3 Jan
172627. This deed mentions son Israel Woodward, ... as well as son
Morgan Cobb.

These are enough sources to show that the Jane Godfrey who was the dtr
of Richard and Jane Turner Goodfrey was NOT the Jane who married our
Goerge Bunker.

> Then of course, we have Jane Elizabeth Godfrey, b. Mar 6 1624 in Topsfield,
> MA dau of John Godfrey, the witch.

1953 - June issue of CAPE MAY CO. Magazine of History and Genealogy,
article by Margaret Irwin McVickar: "...Jane Bunker [who md Richard
Swain] was the daughter of John Godfrey of Ipswich, who was tried for
witchcraft, but who was exonerated..."

> This gives two undocumented references to a Jane Godfrey being born in
> Topsfield, MA.

> In other genealogies I find that Jane Godfrey, dau of
> Richard and Jane Turner Godfrey married men named Woodward and Cobb but no
> Bunker or Swain.

Correct, per above. [Incidentally, I have seen a reference that George
Bush descends from Richard and Jane Turner Godfrey; his 9th g-grandparents.)

> Both Richard Godfrey and John Godfrey were in MA at a time when they could
> have been Jane's father.
>
> We also have an Elizabeth Godfrey who married John Cary in 1644 in East
> Bridgewater, MA.

According to a 2000 message from Sue and Bob Bates [which I cannot find
- perhaps I have deleted a large group of BFA messages from my
disk...oh, woe] - George BUNKER married Elizabeth GODFREY on 5 May
1644/5 at Maulden Parish, Bedfordshire, England. Her parents were Moses
GODFREY and Elizabeth MEAD/MEADE.

I have not looked to see if this marriage has shown up in Brian's sendings.

I have also seen the name Thomas Godfrey (md Elizabeth Meade) as her father.