BRUNTON-L Archives

Archiver > BRUNTON > 2005-06 > 1119405411

Subject: Re: Andrew Brunton
Date: 21 Jun 2005 19:56:51 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/mbexec/msg/an/iRG.2ACEB/8.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Hi,
I appreciate all your researching!
When in Kirkcaldy Library, I copied out a Surname Index to Christenings in Old Parochia Registers to 1855.
It gives several variations of the spellings of Brunton & it seems the name was spelled differently depending on which community the people lived in.
This index listed births, christenings, and marriages, giving the name of the person involved, & the names of their parents.
There are several Andrews mentioned; however there are three in the year 1806: Andrew, son of William & Jean Smart (16 Nov 1806 in Markinch); and Andrew, son of Robert & Anne Dall (17 Sept 1806 in Cupar); and a Brunton -with no first name, child of Andrew Brunton (05 April 1806).
There is an Andrew, son of Archibald Brunton & Nillie Kelloch for which there are no dates or location given.
The inscription on my gggrandfather's gravestone says:
died June 22, 1875 aged 67 yrs. 8 mths.
From that I derived his birthdate:
June, 1875 minus 8 mths = Nov. 1874.
Nov. 1874 minus 67 years = 1807.
Therefore, it seems his birthday was in Nov. 1807.
I know gravestone inscriptions are not always perfectly correct, but since the date was set down in months as well as years, it would seem to be reasonably correct.
I do know that his wife's parents came from the Markinch area, and she was born there.
However, I don't know for sure that he was from there; it just seems very probable, especially since his brother George's marriage was in Kennoway.
Anyways, it is fun going through this with the hope that somewhere lies a clue to tell us exactly who is parents were, and where he was married.
Evelyn

This thread: