BRITT-L Archives

Archiver > BRITT > 2007-01 > 1168533319

Subject: Re: [BRITT] BRITT
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:35:19 +0000

Simon Thomas Britt was born ca 1813 in Raleigh, N.C.( the only proof of this was a bio written by his son Elias Lafayette Britt in "Arkansas 1911 Census of ConfederateVeterans")He also said his mother was Dicey Ann Turnage b. ca 1815 in N.C.
Simon and Dicey had 4 children in N.C. I don't know where.
I.John Henry Britt b. 1831 N.C. d. 13 Oct 1868 Sevier County, Ark., now Howard Co.
1 marr. abt. 1859
2. marr. 14 Feb. 1866 Sevier or Howard Co., Ark.
1. Lavinia D. ?
2. Mrs. Mary Ann Oakley

2.Mary A. Britt b. 29 Aug 1833 N.C. died 1 Apr 1860 Sevier or Howard Co. bur. Bluff Springs
cemetery, Mineral Springs, Ark..
mar. Robert Henderson Jeanes

3. Eliza Britt b. 9 Aug. 1835 N.C. d. 9 Dec. 1866 Sevier or Howard Co., Ark.
Bur. Bluff Springs Cem. Mineral Springs, Ark.
mar. 22 July 1858 Henry F. Jeanes

4. Stanley Britt b. ca 1839 N.C. d. abt. 1860 Sevier or Howard Co., Ark.

5. Elias LaFayette Britt b. 2 Aug 1842 Henry County, TN. d. 25 Apr 1918 Howard Co., Ark.
Bur. Bluff Springs, Ark.
1 mar. 8 Apr 1866 Lockesburg, Sevier County, Ark.
Mrs. Mollie Stuart, Mrs. Susan Ellen Bradford, Mary E, Brown

6. Martha Ann Britt b. 7 Jan 1844 or 46 Sevier Co., now Howard County
died 25 Apr 1924 Howard County, Ark.
bur Bluff Springs Cem. near Mineral Springs
mar. Benjamin Kennedy Holcombe

7. Benjamin Franklin Britt b. 20 Dec. 1847 Mineral Springs, Ark.
died 15 Feb. 1931 Greenville, Hunt Co., Tx.
bur.East Mount Cem., Greenville, Hunt Co., Tx.
mar. Nancy Jane Moore 6 Oct. 1870 Hunt County.
this is my great grandfather...I am a grandchild of his grandson, John Wesley Britt & Jenny Scarborough

8.Emily Britt b. abt 1850 Howard Co., Ark. d. 1860 Ark.

9.Paris Piram Britt ( this middle name from Susie McCullough, 6, a descendent of his 6331 S. 126 W. Ave., Sapulpa, OK 74066)
He was born March 3, 1852 Ark. died25 Jan 1892 Hunt County, Tx.
Mar. Mary Jane Pannell 4 Sept,1878, Hunt County, Tx.

Simon went to Henry County around 1840. Had son in 1842 there.

In 1840 census Henry Co., pg. 452 Simon T. Britt
In the tax records for 1843, Henry Co, TN. he paid poll tax only. He was in District 11
In the tax records of 1844 he was in District 12 paying poll tax only, Henry County.
He could have been in the same place & the districts changed.
Source: Mary Ann Claxton, Henry County, TN. Genealogical Society from microfilm

The family was in the 1850 census Saline Township, D-423 23 of Nov.

I think he probably buried on his homeplace. I have not been able to find a tombstone. I have his probate. He left his son, John Henry Britt as administrator.
In the 1860 Mortality Schedule of Arkansas, it gives the cause of death for simon as Pleuresy, It also lists the little girl, Emily as dying from head disease. His other daughter, mary A. Britt Jeanes also died in April, possible from the same thing. Just a guess.
Dicey died in 1866.
I have all of his children and their children. None of them named their childen Simon, but several used the name of Thomas.
I hope this helps. I have more if you need it.
Dorothy Britt Garrison, Irving, Texas They may be changing my email shortly. I think Time Warner has bought Comcast out.
928 McCoy Drive, Irving, Tx. 75062......972-256-1232