BRITISH-JEWRY-L Archives

Archiver > BRITISH-JEWRY > 2005-11 > 1131098278

From: "Darlene Thornton and Tony Stein" <>
Subject: New subscriber - THORNTON & HOCKINGS - *long*
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:57:58 +1100

Hello, a new subscriber to this list from Sydney Australia.

I am looking for further information or tips on seeking my paternal
ancestors, Samuel and Jane THORNTON, and the HOCKINGS family.

This is what I have at the moment:

On the 23rd Dec 1841 on the "William Jardine" a family of Hockings arrived
Thomas Hockings age 39 a carpenter, parents Thomas & Catherine (both dead),
native place St. Martins in the Field London.

Jane Hockings age 37, house servant, parents SAMUEL THORNTON & JANE, (Samuel
is dead) St Andrews Holborn London. Their two sons were born in England:
Albert John Hockings born 21/2/1826 and Henry Hockings born 23/5/1829

Henry HOCKINGS (F- Thomas & M- Jane THORNTON) b. 23 May 1829, London - d. 19
October 1912. Migrated to Australia with his family in Dec 1841.
Married a Eliza EMMES in 1853 in Sydney.

Henry was the first president for the Zionist Society - elected in 1901.
They have had 10 children, first child born and died in Sydney but the rest
in Brisbane.

Eliza HOCKINGS (nee. EMMES) died 4 March 1888 in Queensland, however Henry
died in Sydney. He was living at Stanmore Rd Newtown by 1903 with his
adopted niece Lily THORNTON.

Henry was buried in the jewish section of Rookwood Cemetery. His occupation
was a wine merchant.

His children named as: Eliza, Henry Thomas (of Victoria), Harold Joseph (of
South Brisbane), Leo George (of Rockhampton), Amy MCGREGOR (of Glenn Innes)
and Reginald (of Thursday Island - pearling fleet). Henry's brother was
Albert John HOCKINGS who married a Elizabeth BAILEY in Brisbane.

I am trying to work out the jewish background of this family, their actual
area in London/Britain and their extended families.

And for THORNTON part - it appears that Jane THORNTON (b. (mentioned above
as wife of Thomas HOCKINGS) and her brother Samuel THORNTON (b. 1782 - d.
1842) (my direct ancestor) were Jewish, however there were no clues to
confirm that, so am trying to ascertain that they were. For interest, two of
Samuel's children married into another Jewish families in Sydney, Australia
(MORRIS and SOLOMON). Samuel THORNTON married to a Sarah
MADDEN/THORN/THORNTON (have not really found anything to confirm her actual
surname) probably around 1810s. They've had either one or two children
before Sarah was convicted and transported to Sydney in 1814.

I am getting quite confused with all the marriages, christenings etc
records, some are at Anglican churches, etc? Is it quite difficult then in
1810s to have records from Synagogue registered or what?

Looking forward to read your replies on those families.

Thanks in advance,
Darlene Thornton
Sydney Australia

This thread: