BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2012-01 > 1327186963

From: "Art Miller" <>
Subject: [BRE] Ludwig Miller
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:02:43 -0500

Trying to sort out Ludwig/Lodowick Miller and connected families in Frederick/Washington Co., Md. It appears that there might have been at least two with this name in early Frederick Co., as follows:
>Lodowick as son of Michael Miller. He was born about 1724, married to a Barbara, lived on tract called Tom's Chance adjacent to his father at Ash Swamp n/e of Hagerstown, died 1792 in Taneytown in now Frederick Co.
>Ludwig who in 1757 purchased 66 acres on Friends Cr. in now northern Frederick Co. from John Friend. Per Frederick Co. deed, in 1763 he was in York Co. with wife Barbara and sold this tract to John Mooney. In 1762, Daniel Leatherman and Anthony Hardman witnessed naturalization of Ludwig Miller of German Baptist Church of Frederick Co.
It is reported that in 1771 George Craft, Joseph Grable and Ludwig Miller migrated from Washington Co., Md. to Redstone area of Fayette Co. At about the same time Jonathan Miller (as young boy) and his future father-in-law, Charles Hickman, took the same journey and interacted with the first three in Fayette Co. It appears that all these families were either related or very close.
So, I am trying to identify this migrating Ludwig Miller in Northern Md. and determine who was father of Jonathan Miller. In addition, there could have a David Miller involved with this migration. Wondering if anyone can help determine if there were in fact two Ludwig Millers located in this area.
Further, could the second Ludwig have been the one to marry Barbara Grable as opposed to the reports that show her as wife of Lodowick Miller, son of Michael?
Would welcome any insight into this matter.
Art Miller, Louisville

This thread: