BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-09 > 1317033782

From: Wayne Lucore <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] [BRE) Brethren churches names
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:43:02 -0700 (PDT)

Just to elaborate a little and to ask about the Dunkard Brethren Church which wasn't mentioned.
When I first went to Quinter, Gove Co, KS it was interesting to learn that there were 3 different churches in Quinter - First: The Church of the Brethren first organized in 1885-1886 (presumably then called German Baptist Brethren),  Second:  The Big Creek German Baptist Church (Old Order Branch) founded officially in 1891, and the Dunkard Brethren Church which split off from the Church of the Brethren in 1928 mostly through the efforts of Rev. L. I. Moss who came to Quinter from Ohio where the Dunkard Brethren originated.

The above information comes from the book "History and Heritage of Gove County, KS - A Bicentennial Project of the Bicentennial Commission and the Gove County Historical Society.

My wife, Eula Wolf (1925-1997) and her parents belonged to the Church of the Brethren, who left the OGBB Church in 1928, while her grandparents were split - father's side still belonging to the OGBB and mother's side members of the Dunkard Brethren..

Wayne Lucore