BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-08 > 1313334596

From: "Roberta Estes" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Different Miller Families in Montgomery County,
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:10:23 -0400

Morning Wayne, Merle and all,

Interestingly, Daniel owned a total of 140 acres in Randolph Township. In
1820 he sold 100 acres to son Jacob, but the deed was never filed. Daniel's
heirs filed it in 1826. Part of the condition of that sale was that he give
up his interest in the balance of the 40 acres which surely included the
Daniel Miller homeplace. I am still working to obtain the deeds to figure
out what happened to that land. Jacob owned his land at least as late as
1851 according to a plat map, and likely through his death in 1858. I'm
hopeful that either the deed where Daniel's heirs sold the balance of
Daniel's 40 acres or Jacob's land when sold would set forth something about
a cemetery. I know that didn't always happen, but maybe, just maybe, and if
it does, it likely confirms that Daniel and Elizabeth were actually buried
on their farm.

One other possibility, assuming that the Sugar Hill markers is incorrectly
placed, is that Daniel and wife were buried in the David Miller cemetery.
David was Daniel's brother.

In addition to Daniel and Elizabeth, in 1812, one of Daniel's sons died.
I'm hoping to discover for sure where Daniel lived in 1812. We have a deed
that shows a Daniel owning land in T3 R5 Section 34 which according to the
1810 tax records is in Jefferson Township, as was his brother David's land
which was on section 11. When Daniel sold this land in 1815 after
purchasing the land in Randolph Twp where he then lived until he died in
1822, he sold 149 acres to Michael Hoovler, and then he sold 1/2 acre to
Abraham Troxel.

This half acre sale is extremely interesting, because it has to be one of
two things, either land for a church or land for a cemetery.

Can anyone place either a church or a cemetery in this section of Jackson
Township?

Roberta