BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-08 > 1312686089

From: "gale honeyman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] BRETHREN Digest, Vol 6, Issue 201
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 23:01:29 -0400

Excerpts from the autobiography of Jacob Root of North Manchester, Indiana
who was born March 4, 1811 in Montgomery County, Ohio and a member of the
German Baptist Brethren church.

"For the interest of my children and generations to come, I, Jacob Root, the
8th of a family of 12 children and in the 87th years of my age, propose,
with the help of the Lord, to give a brief sketch of my life and wanderings
as near as I can remember."

"Another important day was barn or house raisings and often two buildings
were put up in a day. After they were raised, the owner was generally
hoisted up and carried through the building, but the most common occurrence
was the log-rolling. The men would gather for miles around to help some
newcomer and each other put the logs on a piece of new ground, as it was
called, and as there was plenty of whiskey, the heaviest logs were easily
carried. Once at a house raising a log fell off the building on me, hurting
my back and one leg and mashing one foot so I was laid up nearly a whole
year with it."

"A great change has taken place among the Dunkard Brethren since I first
knew them. They are now very much opposed to the use of strong drink and
tobacco and are also strongly arrayed against the saloon business while in
an earlier day they were more liberal and frequently used whiskey at their
log rollings, corn huskings and house raisings, but I can truthfully say
they always kept within bounds and never used it to an axcess [sic]."

Jacob's mother, Barbara (Lane) Root was a half sister of my 4th great
grandfather John Spitler Sr.

Gale