BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-06 > 1309290765

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Brethren Millers
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:52:45 -0400

Art:

I have a copy of the 1776 non-enrollers list for Washington County, MD, that
lists "Dunkars & Menonist" fines. The list includes Abraham Miller, David
Miller, and David Miller son of Philip. It goes onto list an appraisal of
guns (what ever that means) in 1777 and includes a Henry Miller.

Point being there were several Miller's in Washington County, some of who
were Dunkers or Mennonites, a name common to both denominations.

If you move to the 1776 non-enroller list for Frederick County, MD, which
includes Anthony Hardman and Nicholas Leatherman (I believe Daniel's
brother), you have even more Millers. You have Jacob Miller, Jacob Miller
s/o Adam, Abraham Miller, Peter Miller, Stephen Miller, Solomon Miller,
Robert Miller, Henry Miller, Philip Miller, David Miller and Daniel Miller,
all fined, and implying a Dunker/Mennonite/Quaker religious affiliation. So
you have a lot of potential Millers your ancestor could be affiliated with.

In case you are not familiar with the non-enroller listing, these are people
who refused to show up for militia musters. They may have done this for
religious reasons or they were loyalists.

Having Amish Miller's in my family, it becomes quite challenging trying
separate one Miller from another.

Bill Thomas

This thread: