BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-06 > 1309261020

From: "J.A. Florian" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Brethren "significance" and national significance
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 07:37:00 -0400

I didn't realize the Brethren used whiskey also. I know Washington County
PA History books talk about in commerce, county farmers made whiskey to ship
over the Allegheny Mountains because it was cheaper than to ship grain.

I don't have my list in front of me but some names at Ten Mile Church of the
Brethren, Marianna PA, are:
Peter Eller & wife
Moore
Anthony - born 1800 Maryland
Septer - born 1800 Maryland

The Spohn Meetinghouse was the prior church. So Spohn - Shidler families.

>From the Book of Names (1838-1901 I think):
John Lane - came from Fred Co MD about 1809
Rev. Daniel Lane, son
Moore - related to the Fayette Co PA Moores
Flowers
Knight
Garber
Zediker

Arnold-Letherman couple were in Fayette Co PA, across the river from the
main area where others later settled, as early as 1744 since their child was
born that year (Dr. Bell's research).

The families prominent in Frederick Co MD seemed to move, en mass or only
some generations, to Washington Co PA. So most of the names we're familiar
with in Frederick Co formed the Ten Mile congregation in SW PA.

I wish the congregation had kept member lists before 1838. If they did make
a list, it is long lost.

Judy

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Merle Rummel <> wrote:

> The Whiskey Rebellion was prominent in this county. Is there a way I
> could
> talk about Brethren intolerance of alcohol but as well, whiskey was
> cheaper
> to ship east than was the grain? Or did Brethren report stills to the
> authorties?
>
> Brethren, including ministers and Elders, had whiskey stills. Those that
> did, normally had flour mills. The frontier miller would take half of the
> grain as payment for milling, but since almost all families had farms and
> grew their own grain, there was little sale for the excess grain (flour).
> The common solution was to make it into whiskey, which had a large sale.
>
> There was little "shipping" of the whiskey, it was sold locally. Few
> Brethren drank whiskey, they did believe in "Temperance" (which in that
> time meant "not too much" - not total prohibition as it is now interpreted
> as). The Brethren did use several Wines (Apple, Peach, etc) and hard Cider
> (2% alcohol - in order to preserve it for use over a whole year - otherwise
> it turned to Apple Cider Vinegar - I have found it normal for families to
> use 10 barrels of Hard Cider a year). The "temperance movement" came some
> years later -about 1850). The Brethren decided to eliminate wine from the
> Communion Service some 30 years later.
>
> Migration to far western Pennsylvania (became Washington Co) began
> following the French and Indian War. You would need to check the families
> (cemetery names) to find when they "came west". I have a number of
> families who came on to Kentucky. I will now need to check the Wise name.
> I did not include that family in my original research. I only recorded the
> marriage of Elizabeth Miller, daughter of Jacob Miller and Catherine
> Minnick, to Henry Wise. They came to the Bullskin area of Clermont Co OH.
> I did not check on the parentage of Henry. Could you give me some of the
> other names?
>
> It was 1751 when the Eckerlin brothers moved from Dunker Bottom, on the New
> River, Virginia, and went to the Monongahela River (Dunker's Creek) on the
> Virginia (West Virginia)-Pennsylvania border. They were taken captive to
> Quebec. They were Ephrata Brethren, who objected to the Superintendant
> Conrad Beisel, and traveled "400 miles toward the setting sun" in 1745,
> moving on about the time of a Shawnee Indian incursion on the New River.
>
> .Merle C Rummel

This thread: